Advanced Investing
3 mins
Published:
July 10, 2024

The Travel Industry is Seemingly Defying the Economy

After years of being cooped up indoors, travellers are once again spreading their wings and taking flight, literally. 

What once was a distant dream during the lockdowns has now become a reality. Some people (not us) are calling it ‘revenge travel’, where cancelled plans are being rescheduled, and wanderlust is stronger than ever. 

But what's fueling this unprecedented surge in the travel industry, and why is it defying the odds of a sluggish economy? 

Grab your boarding pass, and let's embark on a journey through the clouds and uncover the trends shaping the travel landscape in 2024.

From Luxury to Necessity: The Evolution of Travel 🧳

Remember when jet-setting across the globe was considered a luxury reserved for the elite? Maybe you’re too young to remember such a time, but it did exist.

Well, those days are long gone. In a recent survey of 2,000 Brits, holidays have transitioned from being a 'luxury' to a 'non-negotiable' aspect of spending for many. 

In fact, a staggering nine in ten UK consumers typically go on holiday, showcasing the pivotal role travel now plays in people's lives.

The Boom Continues: Trends in the Travel Industry 🚢

The Experience Economy: Today's travellers crave more than just sightseeing; they seek unique, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. 

Companies like Airbnb have capitalised on this trend by offering curated 'experiences' that immerse travellers in local culture. 

Even during the pandemic, Airbnb introduced online experiences, proving that the thirst for exploration knows no bounds.

Cruise Comeback: Norwegian Cruise Line made headlines this year with a remarkable turnaround, swinging from a $2 billion loss to a $166 million profit. It’s what helped put the company on lists alongside Microsoft, Nvidia, and Meta in recent months.

Daily revenue per passenger soared by 17% from pre-pandemic levels, signalling a resurgence in the cruise industry's fortunes.

Flying High: Airlines like Delta and EasyJet are witnessing a revival in fortunes, too. Delta Airlines saw record quarterly earnings, while EasyJet reported a net profit after three consecutive years of losses. 

Despite economic headwinds, travellers booked 40% more international flights in the United States compared to 2022.

Leading the Charge: Key Players in Travel Investment 💼

Airbnb: With a market share of over 20% in the vacation rental industry, Airbnb continues to dominate. The other 80% of the market is divided among dozens of competitors, with Vrbo, TripAdvisor, Expedia and Booking.com.

Q4 revenue surged by 17%, reflecting the platform's resilience and adaptability in catering to evolving traveller preferences.

Expedia: As one of the global leaders in online travel, Expedia boasts substantial revenues, with the U.S. market contributing significantly to its earnings. 

With online sales projected to account for 76% of total revenue by 2028, Expedia is well-positioned to capitalise on the digital transformation of the travel industry.

Norwegian Cruise Line: Here they are again. Norwegian Cruise Line's remarkable turnaround and Royal Caribbean's innovative offerings underscore the cruise industry's resilience and potential for growth in the years to come.

And who said cruises were just for retirees?

Industry Statistics: A Snapshot of Growth 📊

Airline Industry Soaring: The airline industry is expected to reach $25.7 billion in net profits in 2024, with operating profits soaring to $49.3 billion.

Revenue Surge: Total revenues across the airline industry are projected to hit a record $964 billion, driven by a historic high of 4.7 billion travellers in 2024.

Travel & Tourism Market: By the end of 2024, revenue in the travel and tourism sector as a whole is estimated to reach $927.30 billion, with online sales accounting for 76% of total revenue by 2028.

Conclusion: Investing in the Future of Travel 🌟

As the travel industry continues to defy economic downturns and soar to new heights, investors have plenty of opportunities to capitalise. 

Whether it's backing innovative startups like Airbnb or established giants like Expedia, the potential for growth in the travel sector is undeniable. 

Investing in Travel and Tourism on NuWealth 💸

Airbnb 

Norwegian Cruise Line 

Delta Airline

American Airlines

Expedia 

Hilton Worldwide 

Marriott International 

Royal Caribbean

Other ETFs to check out:

The High Ender

The Adventurer

The Lifestyler

Remember when investing Capital is at Risk.  Past performance is not an indicator of future performance.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Source 4

info icon
Remember when investing, your capital is at risk.
Back to top